Notes from NetSquared 12 July 2016: Twitter
Thanks notetaker (she asked for anonymity…)
1. Lachlan McKenzie, NZ Resuscitation Council, @NZResusCouncil
Hashtags and List
- Way of grouping something into a conversation, can easily search these and save them.
- Always use #NZResus. Can embed #NZResus on website, so anyone using that #NZResus will appear on website, can be utilised to extend reach.
- Lists: ways to segment audiences, add people to them => then they get notification. Way to sort information and value people.
Be where the people are
- NZRC can access audiences they previously couldn’t, e.g. paramedic groups
- Can then use influential members of groups to tweet a # made by NZRC and extend reach and credibility. “Reach one person, reach thousands more.” Helps Not For Profits to achieve their mission.
- Also about context: not for everyone, or every nature of work but can move info around international community, i.e. global Resuscitation councils.
Give something back
- Things you find interesting
- Pics, stories and videos from your audiences
- Enable the conversation
2. Stephen Blyth
- Is Twitter use moving to one-way communication, i.e. broadcasting? Losing some of its fun.
- NZDF retweet @PeterDunneMP, to show acknowledgement of stance. But he can also act as an influencer.
- Use for direct relations with media, follow journalists and challenge them or give them ideas. Can also hold them to a level of accountability.
- Can use to amplify other people’s tweets about pertinent events.
- Be careful of the power of what you say, as info moves rapidly.
3. Katie Byrne
- Taylor Swift’s personal brand and giving back can transcend to your organisation.
- Need brand evangelists to create content and amplify messages for them. Particularly for Not For Profits with low resources.
- It’s about customer experience not customer service.
- Harnessing # and speaking to the tone and style needed for your community. E.g. topical # like Spark with new Pokémon app => cheap, but very relatable for young audiences and further engagement.
- Nurture your community in a personalised way.
- Utilise your people and give them the ability to create content for free.
Thanks to all our speakers.